Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Dumb and Dumber: Bruce Dickinson Says Something Really Stupid

Look, I actually like Iron Maiden. I do. I have at least a dozen albums, and listen to the band quite often. But that doesn't mean I won't criticize them when a member says something ridiculously dumb. In a recent interview with The Guardian, Maiden lead singer Bruce Dickinson said the following:
"The closest the 'art establishment' ever came to embracing metal was punk. The reason they embraced punk was because it was rubbish and the reason they embraced rubbish was because they could control it. They could say: 'Oh yeah, we're punk so we can sneer at everybody. We can't play our fucking instruments, but that means we can make out that this whole thing is some enormous performance art.'"
I mean...what a dumb ass. Er, sorry, dumb arse. The art establishment "controls" punk. WTF? Look, all commentary about music is opinion, but this comment is just dumb. Sorry, Bruce, you don't have any idea what you are talking about. It's like I said in a comment on Facebook, it's like criticizing classical music for having too few guitar solos.

I'll heed your advice on dungeons & dragons in song lyrics, but as for your take on music other than metal...I'll pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Steel Panther LIVE at The Admiral, Omaha, NE 4/18/24 (PHOTO)

Caught the hair metal parody band, Steel Panther , last night at The Admiral. The show was okay. It was pretty funny at first, but the joke ...