Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My Pavement Mini-Reunion (Omaha Edition)


I witnessed a very rare occurrence last Sunday night (Feb 16, 2014) while seeing Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks in concert at Waiting Room Lounge in Omaha. Towards the end of the show, Malkmus welcomed to the stage his former Pavement bandmate, Bob Nastanovich

Nastanovich supposedly lives in Des Moines, IA (apprx. 2 hours away from Omaha), and occasionally visits Omaha to see shows. When I arrived at the venue for the concert, I was told he was on the guest list. No more than two minutes later, I saw him and Malkmus walk right by me and head outside. I immediately started thinking, "Pavement reunion!"

Well, not exactly. I did, however, get to see 2/5 of Pavement reunite and perform the song, "Unfair" from the band's celebrated album, 'Wowee Zowee.' The track was perfect for this situation as it features Nastanovich on lead yelling. The raucous track got the crowd super excited, and once everyone figured out what was happening, there was a mad rush from the back of the club to the front of the stage. 

The "reunion" lasted for only one song, unfortunately. Still, it was a pretty great couple of minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sun June and Wild Pink LIVE at Reverb 3/22/24 (PHOTOS)

Laura Colwell (pictured) and Sun June played a great set last night (3/22/24) at Reverb. This was my first time seeing the Texas indie band...