Thursday, October 27, 2011

Drive-By Truckers and Those Darlins Deliver the Goods...And Then Some

Drive-By Truckers' Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley 10/26/11
Saw a fantastic show last night at Slowdown featuring Alt-country heavyweights Drive-By Truckers and Nashville's new indie/garage phenoms Those Darlins. It was fantastic night for rock 'n roll, and if you have a chance to see either band, make it a point to do so. Let's begin with my new rockin' girlfriends (+ 1 gentlemen), Those Darlins.
Those Darlins 10/26/11 at Slowdown
At nine on the dot, Nashville's Those Darlins took the stage, and I have to admit, I was not prepared for how good this band was. I have heard their newest record, Screws Get Loose, and have played the song, "BUMD" on my radio show a couple of times. But the live experience made the music connect with me much more than the record had.

The band mixes garage rock with 60s girl group sounds and adds a hint of country for good measure. All three of the frontwomen sing, and Kelley and Nikki Darlin alternate between bass and guitar. Both are great players. Guitarist/singer Jessi Darlin handles most of the vocals, and is truly mesmerizing on stage. For the past two years now, St. Vincent's Annie Clark has been my rock n' roll crush object, but after last night's show, Jessi Darlin might take the top spot. Congratulations, Jessi. You deserve everything that comes with this high honor. Nudge nudge, wink wink.
Jessi Darlin (left) and Kelley Darlin
Those Darlins seemed like they were having a ton of fun on stage, and really got into their performance. That always makes a difference with me. They played my fave song off the new record ("BUMD"), and enticed me into buying their first album. After the show, I was able to chat for a while with Nikki and Kelley. They were both very nice and generous with their time. I can't wait for them to return.

I made a short video from my iphone of the band's last song. The sound is shit because I was so close, but you get the idea of how energetic the band is on stage. After that video is the band's official video for the title track to the new record.

Last night was my third Drive-By Truckers show, and it was easily the best. Before the show, I had the chance to hang out some with band leader Patterson Hood, as we have a mutual friend. The guy was so nice, and very well informed on a number of things besides rock music. Talking to him gave me more insight into the man, his background, and his music. I consider myself much more of  a fan after last night.
Patterson Hood rocks out in Omaha
It would be hard for me to say what the band did or did not play, as I am very bad with song titles. However, my favorite DBT song, "Aftermath USA," was not played. Still, the set was so good, it is hardly worth complaining. In this day and age, band seem to play no longer than 70 minutes or so. Drive-By Truckers played over two hours, and not a minute was wasted. Powerful show.
After the show, I grabbed a copy of the band's CD/DVD, Live in Austin,. TX, recorded for Austin City Limits. Though the crowd was a little lighter than the last DBT show, I think they made up for it by being extra enthusiastic. I have to imagine that the band noticed and appreciated it. I sure hope so, anyway.

While I am suffering today from all that rocking out last night, I would not have traded the experience for anything. A big thank-you to Those Darlins and Drive-By Truckers. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sun June and Wild Pink LIVE at Reverb 3/22/24 (PHOTOS)

Laura Colwell (pictured) and Sun June played a great set last night (3/22/24) at Reverb. This was my first time seeing the Texas indie band...