Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Built To Spill TONIGHT at Slowdown


I'm very psyched today because one of my all-time favorite bands, Built To Spill is playing in town. I've been a fan of BTS since its leader, Doug Martsch, left his former band Treepeople in 1993. I've probably seen them 10-12 times over the years, and never miss another chance to see this band live.

Martsch is an amazing guitar player, for one, but he is also a first rate songwriter. I'd liken BTS to a combination of Neil Young and Dinosaur Jr. The music can be epic, loud, and powerful, but it can also be sweet and sensitive at the same time. The band seems to go back and forth between writing longer, jammier (for lack of a better term) songs and shorter, poppier ones. Though the long ones definitely have pop appeal, as well.

I can't wait. There is one opener, Disco Doom, who I know nothing about. Tickets are still available for $20.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEW: Replacements @ Cabaret Metro '86 RSD Release + 'Mats Tribute Band (VIDEO)

As you've no doubt come to understand, this is the channel for your favorite Replacements related content. Naturally, I was all over th...