Tuesday, August 26, 2008

R.I.P. Steve Foley (The Replacements)

A Minneapolis music message board has posted that one-time Replacements drummer Steve Foley has passed away. Foley replaced Chris Mars in 1990, and played drums on the final Replacements tour. After that band's break-up, he stayed with Tommy Stinson who made him the drummer in his post-Mats band, Bash & Pop.

I saw Steve play with The Replacements four or five times on that last tour. While I missed Chris Mars' more "care free" style of playing, Steve filled his shoes well and gave the All Shook Down tunes the little extra kick they needed. I was only able to see Bash & Pop once and I remember it fondly.

Here is a video of Bash & Pop for the song "Loose Ends." I believe it was their only video.


Steve was also in this Replacements video for "When It Began." It was the band's final video.

UPDATE: According to the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the cause of death was an accidental drug overdose after nearly 15 years of sobriety.

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEW: Replacements @ Cabaret Metro '86 RSD Release + 'Mats Tribute Band (VIDEO)

As you've no doubt come to understand, this is the channel for your favorite Replacements related content. Naturally, I was all over th...